This summer has started out slow. With the house getting flooded in the middle of May, we are almost back to normal here at the beginning of July. I wanted to get a good start on some sculptural work in plaster this summer as the studio is up, but not ready for stone work.
I was able to work on a horse for Mary for a few days over the past couple of weeks and here it is. I used a 1/2 gallon milk carton for a mold to pour a plaster block. While the plaster was wet I aggressively took material off. I was limited in depth so I stylized the horse, elongating the legs and truncating the torso. I wanted to include Mary’s love of horses so I incorporated a heart shape to the shoulders and hind quarters.
I did find that even though I used finer and finer sandpaper, I continued to make scratches in the plaster, so the finish is still not as smooth as I would like. I will continue to research materials to smooth out the finish.